Services and information
How MPAs conserve, manage and protect nature.
How MPAs are established and managed under the Oceans Act.
Anguniaqvia niqiqyuam was designated on November 16, 2016, as an MPA under the Oceans Act.
This MPA off the Gaspé Peninsula contains species at risk and diverse molluscs and crustaceans.
Basin Head is located on the eastern tip of PEI, about 100 km east of Charlottetown.
One small Eastport MPA surrounds Round Island, and the second surrounds Duck Islands.
The Endeavour MPA is a seismically active area of seafloor formation and hydrothermal venting.
This MPA is about 300 km from Happy Valley-Goose Bay on the southeast coast of Labrador.
The Gully is about 200 km off the coast of Nova Scotia and east of Sable Island.
Composed of 3 individual areas in the Pacific Region, near the entrance to the Douglas Channel.
The Laurentian Channel MPA is located about 150km off the southwest coast of Newfoundland and Labrador.
This MPA is 20 km southwest of Saint John, NB, with the boundary defined by low tide water levels.
The SGaan Kinghlas-Bowie Seamount MPA is 180 km offshore and west of Haida Gwaii in the northeast Pacific.
St. Anns Bank MPA, designated on World Ocean Day, 2017, is located east of Scatarie Island, off Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.
Canada's first Arctic MPA was officially announced in 2010 and consists of 3 individual areas.
Tuvaijuittuq MPA is located off the northwest coast of Ellesmere Island, Nunavut, in the Arctic Ocean.
What we are doing
- SGaan Kinghlas–Bowie Seamount Gin siigee tl’a damaan kinggangs gin k’aalaagangs Marine Protected Area Management Plan 2019
- Report on the designation of the Tuvaijuittuq Marine Protected Area
- Federal Marine Protected Areas Strategy
- National Framework for Canada's Network of Marine Protected Areas
- Oceans Act Areas of Interest
- Oceans Act Marine Protected Areas
- Other Effective Area-Based Conservation Measures
- Federal Marine Bioregions
- Marine Protected Areas
- Tuvaijuittuq Marine Protected Area
- Endeavour Hydrothermal Vents
- The Gully Marine Protected Area: A Diversity of Life and a Sanctuary for Whales
Oceans Protection Plan
Canada has the world's longest coastline, and our water is one of our most important resource.
Marine protected areas and areas of interest for ocean protection.
State of the Atlantic Ocean
Learn about the current status and trends of Canada’s diverse Atlantic Ocean ecosystems.
- Date modified: