Services and information
Canada has surpassed its marine conservation target of protecting ten percent of marine and coastal areas.
What Canada is doing to protect our oceans.
Canada is working to expand its network of marine protected areas.
Bill C-55, an Act to amend the Oceans Act and the Canada Petroleum Resources Act, received Royal Assent on May 27, 2019.
Governments and industry collaboration on ocean conservation.
Learn more about the collaborative efforts of Canada and Quebec to protect the marine environment.
Protecting coasts and waterways, while growing the economy for future generations.
Funding for projects that help restore coastal aquatic habitats.
Public reports and technical information on current science findings about the state of Canada’s ocean ecosystems.
What you can do to help protect our oceans.
What we are doing
- New area of interest off Southampton Island in Nunavut
- Canada surpasses its international target of 10 percent protection of marine and coastal areas
- New marine protected area in Tuvaijuittuq
- Canada Announces New Standards for Protecting Our Oceans
- Offshore Pacific Area of Interest consultations
- Eastern Shore Islands Area of Interest consultations
- Canada’s Oceans Now: Atlantic Ecosystems, 2018
- Canada's Ocean Strategy
- The Role of the Provincial and Territorial Governments in the Oceans Sector
- Final Report of the National Advisory Panel on Marine Protected Area Standards
- Oceans Act Areas of Interest
- Oceans Act Marine Protected Areas
- Other Effective Area-Based Conservation Measures
- Federal Marine Bioregions
- Canada’s Offshore Pacific Area of Interest
- Endeavour Hydrothermal Vents
- The Gully Marine Protected Area: A Diversity of Life and a Sanctuary for Whales
- Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs Marine Protected Area
Oceans Protection Plan
Canada has the world's longest coastline, and our water is one of our most important resource.
Marine protected areas and areas of interest for ocean protection.
State of the Atlantic Ocean
Learn about the current status and trends of Canada’s diverse Atlantic Ocean ecosystems.
- Date modified: