Services and information
Canada has surpassed its marine conservation target of protecting ten percent of marine and coastal areas.
Areas established under the Oceans Act for the conservation of marine species, habitats, and ecosystems.
Canada is working to expand its network of marine protected areas.
Area-based measures, such as marine refuges, that contribute to the conservation of species, habitats and ecosystems.
Canada's approach to conserving cold-water corals and sponges.
Helping participants conserve and protect species and ecosystems.
Addressing the impacts of human-produced underwater noise and other stressors on Canada's marine environment.
Improving the planning and coordination of activities in Canada's marine and coastal areas.
Public reports and technical information on current science findings about the state of Canada’s ocean ecosystems.
What you can do to help protect our oceans.
Governments and industry collaboration on ocean conservation.
Bill C-55, an Act to amend the Oceans Act and the Canada Petroleum Resources Act, received Royal Assent on May 27, 2019.
What we are doing
- Blue Economy Strategy Consultation
- Northern Gulf of St Lawrence Study Area
- Offshore Pacific Area of Interest consultations
- Eastern Shore Islands Area of Interest consultations
- The Current - Managing MPAs Summary Report
- National State of the Oceans
- Canada’s Oceans Now: Atlantic Ecosystems, 2018
- Canada's Oceans Strategy (PDF, 841 KB)
- The Role of the Provincial and Territorial Governments in the Oceans Sector (PDF, 934 KB)
- Oceans Act Areas of Interest
- Oceans Act Marine Protected Areas
- Other Effective Area-Based Conservation Measures
- Federal Marine Bioregions
Conserving our oceans
To date, Canada has conserved nearly 14 % of its oceans.
United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-2030)
Canada supports the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (Ocean Decade).
Blue Economy strategy
A blue economy requires a strategy to create jobs in coastal communities while ensuring our oceans remain healthy.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: