Services and information
Protection of important fish and marine mammal habitats and endangered marine species.
Areas that contain ecologically-sensitive land or species that need extra protection.
Canada’s approach to identifying other effective area-based conservation measures.
Activities to manage our marine boundaries.
Canada's approach to conserving cold-water corals and sponges.
Standards that ensure better protection of sensitive areas of our oceans.
What we are doing
- Offshore Pacific Area of Interest consultations
- Eastern Shore Islands Area of Interest consultations
- Oceans Act Areas of Interest
- Oceans Act Marine Protected Areas
- Other Effective Area-Based Conservation Measures
- Federal Marine Bioregions
- National framework for Canada’s network of Marine Protected Areas (2011)
- Spotlight on Marine Protected Areas in Canada (2010)
- National framework for establishing and managing Marine Protected Areas (1999)
- Marine Protected Areas policy (1999)
- Marine Protected Areas
- Endeavour Hydrothermal Vents
- The Gully Marine Protected Area: A Diversity of Life and a Sanctuary for Whales
- Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs Marine Protected Area
Oceans Protection Plan
Canada has the world's longest coastline, and our water is one of our most important resource.
Marine protected areas and areas of interest for ocean protection.
State of the Atlantic Ocean
Learn about the current status and trends of Canada’s diverse Atlantic Ocean ecosystems.
- Date modified: