Priority threats and places
The Canada Nature Fund for Aquatic Species at Risk (CNFASAR) supports applicants in the design and delivery of stewardship projects that contribute to the recovery and protection of aquatic species at risk.
DFO has identified 2 priority marine threats, and 9 priority places as the focus for projects funded by CNFASAR.
A map of the Canada Nature Fund for Aquatic Species at Risk Priority Places and Threats. This map indicates the locations of CNFASAR priority places and threats across Canada. Note that this map does not include the 3 CNFASAR priority species: North Atlantic Right Whale, Atlantic Salmon and Pacific Salmon.
- fishing interactions (includes entanglement and bycatch of aquatic species at risk)
- physical and acoustic disturbance (includes vessel collisions and marine noise)
- Fraser and Columbia Watersheds Priority Place (British Columbia)
- Rocky Mountains' Eastern Slopes Priority Place (Alberta)
- Southern Prairies Priority Place (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba)
- Arctic Priority Place (Nunavut, Northwest Territories, Yukon, Arctic Ocean)
- Lower Great Lakes Watershed Priority Place (Ontario)
- St. Lawrence Lowlands Priority Place (Quebec)
- Southern Gulf of St. Lawrence Rivers Priority Place (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island)
- Bay of Fundy and Southern Uplands Watersheds Priority Place (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick)
- Southern Newfoundland Priority Place (Newfoundland and Labrador)
Table of aquatic SARA Schedule 1-listed species at risk
|Priority Places and Marine Threats||Species, Population||SARA status|
How were the priorities selected?
Priority threats and places were selected based on the following criteria:
- Presence of aquatic species assessed as at-risk by COSEWIC or listed under SARA;
- Presence of critical habitat of aquatic species at risk;
- Key threats to aquatic species at risk and the severity, persistence or significance of the threats, including the potential for these threats to be mitigated;
- Potential for multi-species and ecosystem-level benefits of stewardship actions ; and
- Potential for collaborators, partners, applicants and leaders.
- Date modified: