Request a review of your project near water: Step 5. Apply for project authorization
How to download and open a PDF form
You’ll need to apply for authorization if we determine that your project will cause the death of fish and/or harmful alteration, disruption or destruction of fish habitat.
The Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard can grant project authorization in the form of a:
- Fisheries Act Authorization
- fishing licence that contains conditions for the protection of aquatic species at risk
When the work, undertaking or activity requires an authorization, the latter is requested according to the requirements of the Authorizations Concerning Fish and Fish Habitat Protection Regulations.
Your authorization will include terms and conditions you must follow to avoid, mitigate, offset (counterbalance impacts) and monitor the impacts to fish and fish habitat resulting from the project. Failure to abide by these terms and conditions is a contravention of the Act and may result in fines.
- Apply for an authorization (normal) (PDF, 558 KB)
- Apply for authorization (emergency) (PDF, 492 KB)
- Apply for reinstatement of authorization (PDF, 490 KB)
- Apply for amending authorization (PDF, 491 KB)
- Apply for suspension or cancellation of authorization (PDF, 592 KB)
- Applicant’s guide to submitting an application for authorization
Send completed forms to your regional office.
Apply for a Species at Risk (SARA) permit if your project:
- will not result in the:
- death of fish
- harmful alteration, disruption or destruction of fish habitat
- will likely result in harm, harassment, or capture of an aquatic species at risk
- Date modified: