National Framework for Establishing and Managing Marine Protected Areas
Work Document - March 1999
Table of Contents
- Complete Text
- Efforts To Date
- Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) Under The Oceans Act
- Approach To DFO's Marine Protected Areas Program
- Framework To Establish And Manage MPAs
- Interim MPAs for Emergency Situations
- Appendix 1: Checklist For AOI Information
- Appendix 2. Checklist For MPA Management Plan Content
Interim MPAs for Emergency Situations
Under Section 36 of the Oceans Act, the Governor in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister may designate an MPA by order on an emergency basis, for short-term protection. This power may be used where the Minister is of the opinion that a marine resource or habitat is, or is likely to be, at risk.
This tool supplements others that could be used in emergency situations, such as fisheries closures and environmental orders.
An interim MPA order will remain in effect for a maximum of 90 days.
Interim MPA orders must be consistent with land claims agreements that have been ratified or approved by an Act of Parliament.
- Date modified: