British Columbia Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund
The expression of interest process is now closed. Details on future opportunities to apply will be updated on this page when available.
The British Columbia Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund is a contribution program funded jointly by the federal and provincial government. The fund will provide an investment of up to $142.85 million over 5 years (i.e. until March 31, 2024) to support BC’s fish and seafood sector, and to ensure the sustainability of wild Pacific salmon and other BC fish stocks.
The fund supports protection and restoration activities for priority wild fish stocks, including salmon, as well as projects that will ensure the fish and seafood sector in BC is positioned for long-term environmental and economic sustainability.
The federal government will provide 70% of the funding, and 30% will come from the Province of BC.
The British Columbia Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund focuses on 3 areas, which are:
- innovation to encourage the development of new technologies to:
- increase productivity
- help meet conservation and sustainability objectives, including the protection and restoration of wild BC stocks, including Pacific salmon
- infrastructure to encourage capital investments in new products, processes or technologies to support the:
- advancement of sustainable fishing practices
- protection and restoration of wild BC stocks, including Pacific salmon
- science partnerships to support collaborations with academia and other research institutions to:
- improve our knowledge and understanding of impacts to wild stocks
- develop sustainable fishing practices
Current priorities for the fund are:
- Aquaculture and the changing environment
- Species of concern rebuilding (Fraser steelhead, chinook and coho research)
- Species of concern rebuilding (selective fishing)
- Species of concern rebuilding (habitat restoration)
- Community hatchery upgrades
- Increasing innovation to support the sustainability and economic stability of BC fisheries
To identify and promote projects of mutual interest, we'll work with the Province of BC to engage:
- Indigenous groups
- non-governmental organizations
- industry and industry associations
- scientific and academic communities
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: