Infographic: Summary of British Columbia Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund funding as of July 2020
Description: Summary of British Columbia Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund funding as of July 2020
The British Columbia Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund (BCSRIF) is a contribution program funded jointly by the federal and provincial governments.
The fund will provide up to $142.85 million over 5 years to support protection and restoration activities for priority wild ﬁsh stocks, including salmon. BCSRIF also supports projects that will ensure the ﬁsh and seafood sector in BC is positioned for long-term environmental and economic sustainability.
Project proponents include:
- Industry Associations (3%)
- Environmental Non-Governmental Organizations (40%)
- Indigenous Organizations (32%)
- Academia and Research (13%)
- Stewardship Organizations (12%)
Indigenous involvement in projects:
- Project Lead (32%)
- Not Involved (25%)
- Project Partner (43%)
Funding distribution by program pillar:
- Infrastructure funding at $26.5 million (37%)
- To encourage capital investments in new products, processes or technologies.
- Science Partnerships funding at $25.2 million (35%)
- To support collaborations with academia and other research institutions.
- Innovation funding at $19.6 million (28%)
- To encourage the development of new technologies.
Funding distribution by priority:
- Habitat & Healthy Salmon ($42.8M)
- Restoration, protection and maintenance of healthy and diverse salmon populations and their habitats.
- Aquaculture ($19M)
- Improved sustainability of the aquaculture industry to ensure the protection and conservation of marine ecosystems and wild ﬁsh populations.
- Fisheries and Seafood Innovation ($9.5M)
- Improved performance and sustainability of the commercial and recreational ﬁsheries, and the seafood processing sector.
Projects by species group:
- Salmon (86%)
- Groundfish (10%)
- Pelagics (2%)
- Invertebrates (2%)
As of July 2020, approximately 55% of available funds have been allocated.
Projects by region:
- Central and Northern BC (2%)
- BC Wide and Coastal Waters (36%)
- South Coast (36%)
- Fraser (19%)
- BC Interior (7%)
Learn more at: www.bcsrif.ca
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: