Services and information
Canada’s approach to reach its marine conservation targets.
Canada’s achievements to date in protecting and conserving our marine and coastal areas.
Details of marine protected and conserved areas contributing to Canada’s marine conservation targets.
Standards that ensure better protection of important areas of our oceans.
What we are doing
- Government of Canada making significant progress and investments to protect Canada’s oceans
- New area of interest off Southampton Island in Nunavut
- Canada surpasses its international target of 10 percent protection of marine and coastal areas
- New marine protected area in Tuvaijuittuq
- Canada Announces New Standards for Protecting Our Oceans
Conserving our oceans
To date, Canada has conserved nearly 14 % of its oceans.
United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-2030)
Canada supports the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (Ocean Decade).
Blue Economy strategy
A blue economy requires a strategy to create jobs in coastal communities while ensuring our oceans remain healthy.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: