A person may engage in recreational fishing for mackerel with a handline or by angling without a licence.
Open year-round in tidal waters
Handline and angling are permitted.
- There is no daily mackerel bag and possession limit.
- The minimum mackerel size that may be retained is 26.8 cm.
All tidal waters
No licence required
July 15 – December 31; mainly summer activity. Catch and release only.
- Individuals are not eligible for a recreational Bluefin tuna licence.
- Only commercial Bluefin tuna licenced fishermen may conduct charters since post-release mortality is estimated for all trips and deducted from the Canadian Bluefin tuna quota.
- Each charter is licenced under a DFO licence issued to the charter fisherman and covers all individuals on board the vessel.
- Catch and release only for charter participants
- Tournaments are also licenced under a DFO licence, issued in the name of the tournament and covering all participants in the tournament.
- Tournaments have been provided with a portion of the Canadian quota and therefore may land some Bluefin tuna
- Limited landing at tournaments
NAFO areas 4VsWX and 5Z
- Tournament licences are available and organizers should contact DFO.MAR-FM-GP.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca to make licensing arrangements.
- All participants in the tournaments are covered by a licence provided to the tournament organizers.
- A DFO licence is required for charters and is available to commercial Bluefin tuna licenced fishermen through the National Online Licensing System.
- Date modified: