A person may engage in recreational fishing for mackerel with a handline or by angling without a licence.
Open season April 1 to December 31 in tidal waters.
All tidal waters.
No licence required.
Handline and angling are permitted.
Each angler is allowed to fish in tidal waters with a maximum of five (5) lines and a maximum of six (6) hooks per line.
- The daily and total possession limit is 20 Atlantic mackerel per person when fishing recreationally.
- The minimum mackerel size that may be retained is 26.8 cm.
New management measures
These new management measures are being implemented to help ensure a sustainable recreational harvest and contribute to conservation objectives. This change will also support the rebuilding of the stock of Atlantic mackerel and will have overall positive impacts on the future sustainability of the resource.
Please consult the changes to the regulation, for additional information.
July 15 – December 31; mainly summer activity. Catch and release only.
- Individuals are not eligible for a recreational Bluefin tuna licence.
- Only commercial Bluefin tuna licenced fishermen may conduct charters since post-release mortality is estimated for all trips and deducted from the Canadian Bluefin tuna quota.
- Each charter is licenced under a DFO licence issued to the charter fisherman and covers all individuals on board the vessel.
- Catch and release only for charter participants
- Tournaments are also licenced under a DFO licence, issued in the name of the tournament and covering all participants in the tournament.
- Tournaments have been provided with a portion of the Canadian quota and therefore may land some Bluefin tuna
- Limited landing at tournaments
NAFO areas 4VsWX and 5Z
- Tournament licences are available and organizers should contact DFO.MAR-FM-GP.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca to make licensing arrangements.
- All participants in the tournaments are covered by a licence provided to the tournament organizers.
- A DFO licence is required for charters and is available to commercial Bluefin tuna licenced fishermen through the National Online Licensing System.
- Date modified: