Northern Integrated Commercial Fisheries Initiative
How to download and open a PDF form
The Northern Integrated Commercial Fisheries Initiative (NICFI) provides funding and support to Indigenous groups and communities that aren’t eligible for AICFI or PICFI in all areas where DFO manages the fishery. This initiative supports development of Indigenous-owned communal commercial fishing enterprises and aquaculture operations.
NICFI uses a step wise approach with a particular focus on business development planning and advice. It’s targeted at enterprise-specific training for fisheries. It aims to meet the needs of communities whether they wish to pursue a commercial fishery, a redistributive commercial fishery or a hybrid of both.
The objectives of NICFI include:
- Build knowledge and skills required to manage fisheries enterprises;
- Increase access to training to fish safely and effectively operate their vessels; and
- Build the capacity needed to meet future commercial fisheries operations, administration and training requirements independently; and
- Enhance economic returns from fisheries and aquaculture for the local and broader benefit of communities.
The NICFI program is divided in four components:
Contact details for user questions.
For more information on this program, please contact:
Indigenous Affairs and Reconciliation Directorate (IARD)
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
300 Laurier Ave. West
Ottawa ON K1A 0R5
- Aboriginal Fisheries Strategy
- Indigenous Marine Servicing Initiative
- Indigenous Program Review
- Atlantic Integrated Commercial Fisheries Initiative
- Pacific Integrated Commercial Fisheries Initiative
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s service performance reporting for grants and contributions
- Capacity building (business development) guide and form (PDF, 616 KB)
- Harvester training guide and form (PDF, 617 KB)
- Expansion and diversification guide and form (PDF, 622 KB)
- Aquaculture development guide and form (PDF, 624 KB)
- Inuktitut - Capacity building (business development) guide and form (PDF, 816 KB)
- Inuktitut - Harvester training guide and form (PDF, 849 KB)
- Inuktitut - Expansion and diversification guide and form (PDF, 866 KB)
- Inuktitut - Aquaculture development guide and form (PDF, 869 KB)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: