Indigenous Habitat Participation Program
Canada launched the Indigenous Habitat Participation Program (IHPP) on June 7, 2019. This $50 million funding program gives Indigenous communities opportunities to participate in the conservation and protection of fish and fish habitat.
The Fish and Fish Habitat Protection Program of Fisheries and Oceans Canada is responsible for the conservation and protection of fish and fish habitat under the Fisheries Act.
During our review of the changes to the Fisheries Act, Indigenous peoples expressed interest in being involved in the conservation and protection of fish and fish habitat. We responded to this request by creating the IHPP to work with Indigenous peoples in this context.
The IHPP is also intended to support our commitment to advance reconciliation with Indigenous peoples in Canada.
This program will support the conservation and protection of fish and fish habitat by providing funding that:
- supports Indigenous peoples’ participation in consultations in relation to Fisheries Act and Species at Risk Act project authorizations
- supports Indigenous peoples’ participation in the development of regulatory, program and/or program initiatives related to the fish and fish habitat protection provisions of the Fisheries Act
- ensures Indigenous peoples have the capacity to:
- support partnerships
- achieve mutual objectives related to fish and fish habitat
This program will help to create:
- safeguards for the participation of Indigenous groups in the consultation process whose rights may be affected by Fisheries Act and Species at Risk Act project authorization decisions
- more collaborative and partnering activities relating to fish and fish habitat across Canada
- increased participation in the development of policy, program and regulatory initiatives related to fish an fish habitat conservation and protection.
- partnering opportunities for making organizational structures and capacity building in inland areas of Canada, where the provinces manage fisheries and Fisheries and Oceans Canada is responsible for managing impacts on fish and fish habitat under the Fisheries Act
This program will support Indigenous peoples in Canada by providing funding through grants and contributions:
- We’ll provide grant funding to Indigenous communities who participate in consultations on proposed works, undertakings or activities requiring authorizations or permits under the Fisheries Act or Species at Risk Act.
- We’ll provide contribution funding to Indigenous groups who wish to:
- provide input to the development of policy, program and regulatory initiatives for fish and fish habitat conservation and protection
- support areas that aren’t already supported by other similar programs, with activities such as:
- building capacities;
- establishing organizational structures;
- collaborating on fish and fish habitat protection
Questions can be submitted to the appropriate regional addresses.
National headquartersEmail: DFO.NCRIHPP-PPAHRCN.MPO@DFO-MPO.GC.CA
Provincial and territorial offices
British ColumbiaEmail: DFO.PACIHPP-PPAHPAC.MPO@DFO-MPO.GC.CA
New BrunswickEmail: DFO.GLFIHPP-PPAHGLF.MPO@DFO-MPO.GC.CA
Newfoundland and LabradorEmail: DFO.NLIHPP-PPAHTNL.MPO@DFO-MPO.GC.CA
Northwest TerritoriesEmail: DFO.CAIHPP-PPAHCA.MPO@DFO-MPO.GC.CA
Nova ScotiaEmail: DFO.MARIHPP-PPAHMAR.MPO@DFO-MPO.GC.CA
Prince Edward IslandEmail: DFO.GLFIHPP-PPAHGLF.MPO@DFO-MPO.GC.CA
- Date modified: