Protecting Canada's wild salmon
Salmon are iconic to Atlantic and Pacific coastal and inland waters, connecting communities across the country. Through partnerships and action, we strive to ensure healthy, diverse salmon populations to sustain aquatic ecosystems and balance the needs of Canadians for generations to come.
Pacific Salmon Strategy Initiative
The goal of the Pacific Salmon Strategy Initiative is to stop the current decline of Pacific salmon and to support a transformed, strong and adaptable fishery that is sustainable – where protection, production, and prosperity go hand in hand.
International Year of the Salmon
The International Year of the Salmon is a 5-year outreach and research initiative of the North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission and the North Atlantic Salmon Conservation Organization. 2019 is the focal year, but research and outreach will continue through to 2022. The initiative aims to raise public awareness, gather stakeholders, stimulate science and inspire action to protect salmon.
Recent reports on salmon from across Canada.
We modernized the Fisheries Act using feedback from stakeholders, partners and Indigenous peoples.
Funding for projects that help restore coastal aquatic habitats.
We place the conservation of salmon and their habitat as the first priority for resource management.
Guidance for developing targeted plans, programs and policies for the conservation of wild Atlantic salmon.
Helping sustain salmon coast to coast for Indigenous peoples.
- Pacific Salmon Strategy Initiative
- Pacific wild salmon policy
- Species at risk: Pacific salmon
- Stream to Sea education program
- Salmonid Enhancement Program
- Summary of British Columbia Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund funding as of July 2020
- Lifecycle of the Adams River Sockeye
- Sea lice management at BC salmon farms
- Government of Canada supports expedition undertaking first of its kind pan-Pacific salmon survey
- Government of Canada and Province of British Columbia invest in salmon and habitat research and aquaculture science
- Government of Canada taking next steps to develop wild Atlantic salmon conservation approach
- Government of Canada and Province of British Columbia invest in sustainable salmon research and aquaculture science
- Jordan announces long-term commercial closures and Licence Retirement Program in effort to save Pacific Salmon
- Date modified: