Role of provinces and territories

Aquaculture takes place in every province and in Yukon. Many provinces also have major powers and responsibilities related to aquaculture management and industry development. Provincial and territorial governments use their own acts and regulations to, amongst others:

  • issue and administer leases, tenures and permits of occupation for aquaculture sites, with the exception of Prince Edward Island where Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) has this responsibility
  • issue licences and permits, except for British Columbia and Prince Edward Island, where DFO undertakes licensing
  • issue land and water use permits, where required
  • establish Codes of Practice to manage environmental impacts as a condition to obtain an aquaculture licence
  • regulate waste management, fish health and fish escapes
  • manage introductions and transfers in collaboration with DFO and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, and if approved, authorize movements under diverse provincial authorities following the National Code for Introductions and Transfers of Aquatic Organisms

Canada's provinces and Yukon play an essential role in approving site applications, issuing leases, tenures and permits of occupation, and except in British Columbia, regulating operations. Find out how to obtain an aquaculture permit, lease and/or licence by referring to the links below.

Provinces and territories permits, leases and licenses:

Provincial and territorial governments can also play an essential role in terms of sector development, market access, and investment in scientific research.

Coordination of federal, provincial and territorial activities is facilitated through the Canadian Council of Fisheries and Aquaculture Ministers and its Strategic Management Committee on Aquaculture.

Date modified: