Report a sighting or incident in BC
If you encounter a shark, let us know
Toll-free: 1-877-50-SHARK (1-877-507-4275)
Shark sighting form (PDF version, 44 KB)
Depending on your browser, you may need to save this form to your device and open it using a PDF reader.
Everyone that encounters a Basking Shark, Bluntnose Sixgill Shark, Tope Shark, or any other shark species in BC (with the exception of North Pacific Spiny Dogfish) is encouraged to document and report the encounter to DFO.
You should document as many details of the encounter as possible, including:
- Photograph(s) or video of the shark, including the dorsal fin;
- Date of the encounter and time of day;
- Location (as specific as possible, e.g. positional GPS data);
- Estimates of the total length (see Figure 1) and sex (males have claspers, see Figure 2) of the shark(s);
- Any distinguishing features (e.g. colour, scars), behaviours, visible wounds, swimming ability of the shark post-release; and
- Your name and contact information (voluntary)
For more information, please see the Codes of Conduct for Shark Encounters and Basking Shark Encounters.
Questions or comments?
Call our toll free line: 1-877-50-SHARK (1-877-507-4275) or e-mail email@example.com
- Date modified: