Language selection


Third party liability insurance pamphlet

(PDF, 104 KB)

Who is insured?

Harbour Authorities (HAs) and other organizations that have a signed lease or a management agreement with the Small Craft Harbours (SCH) program.

The SCH program of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) purchases third party liability insurance for all HAs and other organizations that have a signed lease or management agreement with the SCH program. Although HAs are a separate legal entity, the SCH program is responsible for the renewal and administration of this policy on their behalf since DFO is also named as insured on the policy. The insurance policy is renewed annually in April.

What is insured?

The policy covers third party liability (liability to others) arising out of the day-to-day operations of a Harbour Authority, more specifically for:

What is not insured?

Any loss or damage to property owned, leased or occupied by the harbour authority (HA). If a fire burns down a building that is owned by the HA, the insurance policy will not respond. However, the insurance company will investigate claims against the HA as a result of the fire causing damages to someone else's property or causing injuries to a third party.

Injuries sustained by members of the board of directors, employees and volunteers. The Harbour Authority Corporation (a federally incorporated body working on behalf of  HAs) separately offers to its members directors and officers insurance as well as accidental death and dismemberment, and bodily injury insurance.

Contractors on harbour property causing damage or injuries to others. Contractors must carry their own liability and property insurance.

Vehicles owned by the HA and used on HA business. Vehicles must be insured under automobile insurance policies.

Which services does the third party liability insurance policy provide?

Insurance coverage up to $20,000,000 per accident or occurrence.

The insurer will investigate all incidents for which they receive reports.

The insurer will pay for legal representation should the harbour authority or their employees be sued.

The insurer will pay for claims by a third party where the investigation determines that payment is warranted.

What should a harbour authority (HA) do in case of an incident?

When the HA, its officers, employees and/or volunteers become aware of an incident, the following steps should be taken:

  1. contact law enforcement or emergency services, if required
  2. provide assistance and first aid
  3. prepare incident report by recording key information, including:
  4. block off any areas that could be a hazard and arrange for emergency repairs to minimize any damage
  5. immediately send the incident report to your SCH contact along with any photographs pertinent to the incident
Date modified: