Electronic logbook (ELOG) key
To start using an electronic logbook, you will need an ELOG key. Follow these steps to get started!
Step 1 – Choose an authentication method
You have a choice of two different ways to login into the National ELOG key system. You may use either:
- A sign-in partner, such as through your financial institution. This is done using the SecureKey Concierge function. Please contact your financial institution for step-by-step instructions for using this.
- GCKey, which is the Government of Canada’s anonymous and secure electronic credential.
Note: If you know your NOLS (National Online Licensing System) or any other Government of Canada GCKEY sign-in credentials you can use it here.
Step 2 – Self-Registration – Registering a DFO online profile
Now that you have your login credentials, you will now be able to create an online profile with DFO. If you already have signed in with your DFO online profile (for example, with your NOLS credentials), you may skip to Step 3.
Step 3 – Obtaining your ELOG key
Now that you have a DFO profile, you are now ready to obtain your ELOG key.
Please note the following:
- You are responsible for your ELOG key. You must not share it with anyone.
- ELOG keys that are not used for more than a year become inactive and unusable.
You must get an electronic logbook (ELOG) key from us in order to use your ELOG application to send data to our national system.
Once you sign in to our ELOG key application, you’ll be able to get an ELOG key, which is a string of 24 characters. You must manually copy and store your key in your ELOG application before using it to transmit logbook information to us. This only needs to be done once.
We require a valid ELOG key each time you transmit electronic logbook data. You will need to manually copy and store your key again if you cancel and replace your ELOG key. You may also use our ELOG key application to view your existing key.
Step 4 – Choosing your application
Once you have secured your ELOG key, you may select a qualified electronic logbook application. Please contact the individual applications for support on where to enter your ELOG key. Each application may be different.
Get your ELOG key
Still need help? You can contact Fisheries and Oceans Canada directly by:
- Telephone: 1-877-535-7307
- Telephone support is available Monday to Friday from 07:00 to 20:00 (Eastern time) excluding holidays.
- Email: email@example.com
- Date modified: