2J3KLPs Capelin Management Plan 2017
Species and Area
There are two stocks Capelin stocks in eastern and southern Newfoundland and Labrador; 2J3KL and 3Ps.
Season openings and closings (subject to change)
Commencement of the Capelin fishing season in an area is determined and based upon industry recommendations to the Department. This would be based on the commercial abundance of Capelin, compliance with industry quality standards, and the processing sector’s readiness to purchase product. Opening dates vary by area and fleet and will be determined independently for each quota management unit. The season for each gear sector and area will remain open provided there are commercial quantities available and quota remaining.
Total Allowable Catch (TAC) and Sharing Arrangements
The total allowable catch (TAC) for 2J3KLPs capelin is set at 30,496 tonnes for 2017. The TAC will be allocated to the respective quota areas and fleets according to existing sharing arrangements.
The management measures for this fishery will be a roll over from the 2016 2J3KLPs Capelin fishery. These will include:
- Subject to dockside monitoring. A water allowance of 3% will be applied at dockside.
- Subject to at-sea observer coverage.
- Completion of logbooks.
- Trap net leaders with a mesh size of greater than two inches to less than seven inches are prohibited as a conservation measure to reduce the by-catch of wild Atlantic Salmon.
- The maximum authorized length of a modified bar seine (i.e. ‘tuck’ seine) for use in the Capelin fishery is 80 fathoms.
- Restrictive leasing provisions.
- Capelin buddy-up arrangements permitted in selected areas.
- Daily and seasonal limits.
Further details of the management measures are outlined in the Integrated Fisheries Management Plan.
Single or Multi-year Planning
This information is for 2017 fishing season.
Links to other information
- Date modified: