Greenland halibut are found in the northern reaches of the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, in a circumpolar distribution with a high concentration off the west coast of Greenland. In North America, they range from northern Greenland to the Eastern Seaboard of the United States and from Alaska to Baha California. Significant populations exist in the deep waters of the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the Grand Banks of Newfoundland and Labrador. They prefer cold temperatures and softer substrates consisting of mud and sandy mud.
Closely related to the Atlantic halibut, Greenland halibut are a diamond-shaped, right-eyed flatfish with a slight fork in their tail. Their colouration is fairly uniform and ranges from a yellowish to greyish-brown, with a paler underside. Greenland halibut can be distinguished from Atlantic halibut by their straight lateral line (compared with the Atlantic halibut's arched lateral line). They grow to more than a metre in length and weigh more than 10 kilograms, and can live more than 20 years.
- Proceedings of the Greenland Halibut Workshop, Montreal, PQ; 27 February - 2 March 2001. Newfoundland & Labrador. 2001/036
- Stock Assessments on Greenland Halibut in the Gulf of St-Lawrence (4RST); February 19, 2009 (CSAS pro - 2009/015). Quebec. 2009/015
- Stock Assessments on Greenland Halibut in the Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RST); February 22, 2010 (CSAS pro - 2010/005). Quebec. 2010/005
- Regional Science Advisory Process on the Assessment of the Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RST) Greenland halibut Stock; February 15, 2011 (CSAS Pro - 2011/017). Quebec. 2011/017
- Proceedings of the Quebec Region Science Advisory Process on the Assessment of the Gulf of St. Lawrence Greenland Halibut Stock (4RST); February 26, 2013 (CSAS Pro - 2013/028). Quebec. 2013/028
- Proceedings of the Regional Peer Review on the Assessment of the Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RST) Greenland Halibut Stock; February 18, 2015 (CSAS pro - 2015/023). Quebec. 2015/023
- Proceedings of the Regional Peer Review on the Assessment of the Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RST) Greenland Halibut Stock; February 22, 2017 (CSAS Pro - 2017/037). Quebec. 2017/037
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: