2018 Iceland scallop fishery, core area, NAFO sub-Division 3Ps
Dates of season (subject to change)
The 3Ps Iceland scallop fishery in the “Core Area” on the St. Pierre Bank will open on July 9, 2018. This fishery will close when the TAC has been taken or on December 31, 2018, whichever comes first.
Total allowable catch
The total allowable catch (TAC) for 3Ps Iceland scallop in 2018 is 297 t (round weight), an overall quota decrease of 40% from 2017.
The management approach supports sustainability of the Scallop resource. Under the management measures for this fishery, the TAC for the "core area” has been developed cooperatively between Canada and France.
The “core area” is defined as that portion of Scallop Fishing Area 11 bounded by a line connecting the following coordinates:
- 46 degrees 52.7 minutes North latitude, 57 degrees 28 minutes West longitude to
- 46 degrees 52.7 minutes North latitude, 56 degrees 29 minutes West longitude to
- 46 degrees 30.0 minutes North latitude, 56 degrees 29 minutes West longitude to
- 46 degrees 30.0 minutes North latitude, 57 degrees 28 minutes West longitude to
- 46 degrees 52.7 minutes North latitude, 57 degrees 28 minutes West longitude.
Joint TACs have been in place for the “core area” since 1995. France and Canada are allocated a fixed percentage of the TAC, 70% and 30% respectively.
A maximum of three vessels can fish Iceland scallop at any one time within the “core area”.
Links to other information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: