Terms of Reference
Maritimes Research Vessel Survey Trends on the Scotian Shelf and Bay of Fundy
Regional Peer Review - Maritimes Region
December 6, 2023
Chairperson: Melanie Barrett
In the Maritimes Region, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) Fisheries Management requests an annual assessment of resource status for a variety of groundfish species. DFO conducts full peer-reviewed stock assessments for a number of groundfish stocks on a multi-year assessment schedule; however, in the interim-years, monitoring continues with Science providing annual updates on the status of these stocks. In addition, DFO has conducted an annual Summer Ecosystem Research Vessel (RV) Survey in the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization divisions 4VWX and a small portion of 5Y since 1970. Results of these updates and the annual RV Survey are used for discussion with various industry stakeholders on recommendations for management measures, with the results of the RV Survey used to determine which stocks should be reviewed in more detail.
The objectives of this Regional Science Response process are to review the RV Survey Trends. Specifically:
- Review and evaluate information obtained from the DFO Summer Ecosystem RV Survey on the Scotian Shelf and in the Bay of Fundy. Specifically, update the RV survey trends document to include the available recent survey data;
- Provide information on distribution, biomass estimates and length composition, highlighting biomass trends relative to 40% and 80% of the long-term average;
- Provide a table reporting the biomass estimate for each stock for 2020, 2022 and 2023, as well as the averages (2021 indices are not available until new calibration indices are completed); and,
- Provide the three-year geometric mean of the 42 cm+ 4X5 White Hake.
- Science Response
- DFO Science, Maritimes Region
- DFO Resource Management, Maritimes Region
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: