Terms of Reference
Review of the precautionary approach and projected harvest level options for the fishery for northern shrimp stocks in the Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence
Regional Peer Review - Quebec Region
October 25, 2023
Chairperson: Stéphane Plourde
The review of the precautionary approach for northern shrimp stocks in the Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence began in 2020–2021. In the spring of 2021, a working group, made up of representatives of DFO (Science and Fisheries Management sectors), industry, the provincial governments of Quebec and the Maritime provinces, and Indigenous groups, was created to develop a proposed precautionary approach for these stocks. This process was to include the determination of a limit reference point, upper stock reference point and target reference point (LRP, USR and TRP respectively), as well as harvest decision rule scenarios.
In parallel, at a CSAS meeting on June 28, 2023 in Mont-Joli, the review of the new assessment model and stock assessment areas was completed (CSAS research documents under review), providing a basis for the development of the new precautionary approach.
The Fisheries Management (FM) Branch has asked DFO Science to determine if the proposed reference points and decision rules are consistent with the principles of the precautionary approach. In addition, FM has requested science advice on the management of these stocks for the 2024 fishing season based on the new precautionary approach.
The objective of the meeting is to review the precautionary approach framework developed for the management of the Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence northern shrimp stocks and to provide scientific advice for the management of these stocks for the 2024 fishing season. This advice will include for each of the four stocks (Estuary, Sept-Îles, Anticosti and Esquiman):
- Use of the new assessment model to conduct analyses and identify trends in stock biomass and fishing mortality;
- Determination of reference points in accordance with the precautionary approach, including the limit reference point (LRP) and a proposed upper stock reference (USR) point, target reference point (TRP) and fishing mortality limit reference point (FMSY);
- The identification of harvest decision rule scenarios for determining projected harvest levels based on the stock status indicator;
- Biomass projections for 2024 in relation to biomass at maximum sustainable yield (BMSY) using the new assessment model;
- Projected harvest levels for the 2024 season based on the various decision rule scenarios;
- An analysis of ecosystem considerations and factors affecting stock productivity.
- Science Response
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (Science and Fisheries Management sectors)
- Fishing industry
- Provincial representatives
- Indigenous groups
- DFO 2011. Reference points consistent with the precautionary approach for northern shrimp in the Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec., Sci. Advis. Rep. 2011/062.
- DFO. 2022. Assessment of Northern Shrimp stocks in the Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence in 2021. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Advis. Rep. 2022/006.
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: