Terms of Reference
Development of an assessment model for northern shrimp stocks in the Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence
Regional Peer Review - Quebec Region
June 28, 2023
Chairperson: Stéphane Plourde
The first precautionary approach for the four Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence northern shrimp stocks was adopted in 2012 (DFO 2011). However, during the last stock assessment in winter 2022 (DFO 2022), it was concluded that the precautionary approach should be reviewed before the next assessment. This review is justified since ecosystem conditions have changed since the precautionary approach was developed in the early 2010s, and since a bias has been observed in the main stock status indicator. The new precautionary approach will be developed on the basis of a new assessment model that should make it possible to:
- estimate the population biomass,
- establish reference points consistent with the precautionary approach,
- estimate the exploitation rate,
- consider the changing environment, and
- provide the opportunity to make projections.
In addition, at this meeting, the geographic boundaries delineating shrimp stocks will be reviewed using information on the spatial distribution of northern shrimp, information on seabed topography, and population genomics studies.
Evaluate an assessment model that could be used as a basis for providing science advice on the northern shrimp stocks in the Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence. If a model is deemed appropriate for the assessment, it will be used in the review of the precautionary approach and in the next stock assessment. Specifically, the meeting will address the following:
- Review the geographic boundaries of shrimp stocks in the Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence, in particular the boundary between the Sept-Îles and Anticosti areas south of Anticosti Island
- Estimating historical landings in the new assessment areas
- Estimating biomass indices in new assessment areas
- Model fitting using landings data and biomass indices
- Studying the sensitivity of different model input parameters
- Research Document
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) (Science and Ecosystems and Fisheries Management)
- Fishing industry
- Provincial representatives
- Indigenous communities/organizations
- DFO. 2011. Reference points consistent with the precautionary approach for northern shrimp in the Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec., Sci. Advis. Rep. 2011/062.
- DFO. 2022. Assessment of Northern Shrimp stocks in the Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence in 2021. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Advis. Rep. 2022/006.
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: