Terms of Reference
Stock Status Update of Atlantic Salmon in Salmon Fishing Areas (SFAs) 19-21 and 23
Regional Peer Review - Maritimes Region
March 8, 2023
Chairperson: Tara McIntyre
Science advice on the status of Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar) in Salmon Fishing Areas (SFAs) 19–21 and 23 has been requested by the Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) Fisheries Resources Management Directorate. The advice will be used to inform Aboriginal groups, the provinces of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, and recreational and interested stakeholders of the status of salmon resources in the DFO Maritimes Region in advance of developing harvest agreements and recreational fishing plans for 2023. During Recovery Potential Assessments of Atlantic Salmon Designatable Units (DUs) within the DFO Maritimes Region, stock status and trends were assessed in 2012 for the Southern Upland DU (Bowlby et al. 2013), and in 2013 for the Outer Bay of Fundy DU (Jones et al. 2014) and Eastern Cape Breton DU (Levy et al. 2014).
The objectives of this regional Science Response Process is to assess the status of Atlantic Salmon stocks in Salmon Fishing Areas (SFAs) 19, 20, 21, and 23 up to the end of 2022 using the following indicators:
- adult abundance relative to reference levels;
- juveniles densities; and
- smolt production estimates.
- Science Response
- DFO Maritimes Science
- DFO Maritimes Fisheries Management
- Indigenous Organizations
- Bowlby, H.D., A.J.F. Gibson, and A. Levy. 2013. Recovery Potential Assessment for Southern Upland Atlantic Salmon: Status, Past and Present Abundance, Life History and Trends. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 2013/005.
- Jones, R.A., L Anderson, and C.N. Clarke. 2014. Assessment of the Recovery Potential for the Outer Bay of Fundy Population of Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar): Status, Trends, Distribution, Life History Characteristics and Recovery Targets. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 2014/008.
- Levy, A.L., and A.J.F. Gibson. 2014. Recovery Potential Assessment for Eastern Cape Breton Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar): Status, Past and Present Abundance, Life History, and Trends. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 2014/099.
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: