Terms of Reference
Assessment of Divisions 2J+3KL Capelin and Evaluation of Proposed Limit Reference Points
Regional Peer Review - Newfoundland and Labrador Region
March 6-10, 2023
Chairperson: Elizabeth Coughlan
Divisions 2J+3KL Capelin was last assessed in 2021 (DFO 2022) and an update was done in 2022 (DFO in press). The current assessment is requested by Fisheries Resource Management to inform the development of management measures for the stock for the upcoming fishing season, and to review and establish a Limit Reference Point (LRP) for this stock based on established LRP approaches.
Provide advice on the sustainability of the stock and select an LRP for 2J3KL capelin. The following items will be reviewed:
- Consider ecosystem status where the assessed Capelin stock occurs based on an overview of relevant summaries of oceanographic conditions, biological community structure and trends, and pertinent knowledge of ecological interactions (e.g. predator, prey) and stressors (e.g. anthropogenic impacts).
- Review information on historical catches up to and including the 2021 fishery (there was no fishery in 2022).
- Review results of the 2022 Spring Acoustic Survey.
- Review revisions to the capelin forecast model and discuss forecast for 2023.
- Assessment of the 2J3KL capelin stock including the relative status of abundance, recruitment and biomass. Update indices of biological/behavioural characteristics of the stock.
- Review and establish an LRP from a suite of proposed approaches.
- Science Advisory Report
- Research Document
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) Science and Fisheries Management
- Newfoundland and Labrador Department of Fisheries, Forestry and Agriculture
- Indigenous groups
- Fishing Industry
- Non-governmental organizations
- DFO. 2023. 2022 Stock Status Update for Capelin in NAFO Divisions 2J3KL. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Resp. 2023/010. In Press.
- DFO. 2022. Assessment of 2J3KL Capelin in 2020. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Advis. Rep. 2022/013.
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: