Terms of Reference
Assessment of the Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RST) Atlantic Halibut stock
Regional Peer Review - Quebec Region
March 6-7, 2023
Chairperson: Stéphane Plourde
Provide scientific advice on the status of the Atlantic halibut stock in NAFO Divisions 4RST. This advice shall include:
- A description of the biology of Atlantic halibut and its distribution;
- An oceanographic and environmental overview for the stock area. If possible, this information should be integrated into the advice;
- An assessment of the resource status of Atlantic halibut in 4RST, including abundance, recruitment, exploitation rate, and biological characteristics based on:
- Analysis of the commercial fishing data including landing statistics, logbooks and commercial at-sea and dockside sampling program;
- Analysis of data from the DFO annual research trawl survey and sentinel fisheries;
- Analysis of data from the longline survey and tagging project carried out in collaboration with industry;
- Fitting a stock assessment model to these data.
- Identification of a Limit Reference Point for this stock, and a report on stock status relative to the LRP.
- Determination of a process to provide advice in the form of an update during the interim years between full assessments, and the identification of indicators that may trigger a full stock assessment in place of an update;
- Evaluation of the impact of maintaining and changing current harvest levels;
- Identification of major sources of uncertainty in the assessment
- Identification of research priorities based on the assessment needs.
- Science Advisory Report
- Research Document
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) (Science and Fisheries Management sectors)
- Fishing industry
- Provincial Government representatives
- Indigenous Organizations
- External experts
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: