Terms of Reference
Updated assessment of Northern Wolffish, Spotted Wolffish, and Atlantic wolffish related to population status, life history and habitat
Zonal Peer Review - Newfoundland and Labrador Region, Maritimes Region, Quebec Region and Gulf Region
January 17-18, 2023
Co-Chairs: Erika Parrill and James Meade
A request was submitted by the Ecosystems Management Branch for an analysis of the most recent data on the status of Northern, Spotted, and Atlantic Wolffish populations and life history (i.e., relevant and available updates since the last recovery strategy/management plan progress report (2013-2018) (Fisheries and Oceans Canada in approvals). The recovery strategy and management plan (Fisheries and Oceans 2020) identifies the following science-related recovery objectives, which are relevant to impacts of activities that may be mitigated through human intervention: enhance knowledge of the biology and life history of wolffish species; identify, conserve, and/or protect wolffish habitat required for viable population sizes and densities; reduce the potential of wolffish population declines by mitigating human impacts; and promote wolffish population growth and recovery.
Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) is responsible for reporting on the progress every five years from the date of posting a final recovery strategy. The information will be used by the Species At Risk (SAR) Program to support development of the five year progress report (2018-2022) on the status of the species and progress on meeting the objectives in the Recovery Strategy/Management Plan for wolffish.
Update the assessment of Northern Wolffish, Spotted Wolffish, and Atlantic Wolffish through analyses of the most recent data on population status, life history, habitat use, and interactions with commercial fisheries.
- Science Advisory Report
- Research Document
- DFO (Ecosystems and Oceans Science, Species At Risk, Ecosystems Management, Fisheries Management)
- Fisheries, Forestry and Agriculture NL
- Aboriginal communities/organizations
- Fishing Industry
- Other invited experts
- Collins, R.K., Simpson, M.R., Miri, C.M., Mello, L.G.S., Chabot, D., Hedges, K,.Benoît, H., McIntyre, T.M. 2015. Assessment of Northern Wolffish, Spotted Wolffish, and Atlantic Wolffish in the Atlantic and Arctic Oceans. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 2014/034. iv + 86 p.
- DFO. 2014. Proceedings of the zonal peer review meeting of a current assessment of Northern, Spotted, and Atlantic Wolffish related to population status, life history, and habitat; January 23-24, 2013. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Proceed. Ser. 2013/027.
- DFO. 2022. Assessment of Atlantic Wolffish population trends in the Maritimes Region. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Advis. Rep. 2022/044.
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada. 2020. Recovery Strategy for Northern Wolffish (Anarhichas denticulatus) and Spotted Wolffish (Anarhichas minor), and Management Plan for Atlantic Wolffish (Anarhichas lupus) in Canada. Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Ottawa. vii + 81 p.
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: