Terms of Reference
Upper Stock Reference Points for Atlantic Salmon Rivers in DFO Gulf Region
Regional Advisory Meeting – Gulf Region
February 23-24, 2022
Chairperson: Jenni McDermid
Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) Ecosystems and Fisheries Management Branch Gulf Region is developing a precautionary approach (PA) framework for the management of Atlantic Salmon fisheries in DFO Gulf Region rivers (DFO 2009). The first step in the process, to define of Limit Reference Points, for Gulf Region rivers was completed in 2018 (DFO 2018) based on the zonal advice on reference points and the precautionary approach for Atlantic Salmon (DFO 2015). The next step in the process is the development of the Upper Stock Reference (USR) and harvest decision rules for the three status zones of the PA framework.
The objective of the meeting is to review and define USR points for the Atlantic Salmon rivers of DFO Gulf Region. A harvest decision rule example for the recreational Atlantic Salmon fisheries of the Miramichi River that has been developed by a fisheries management working group will also be reviewed relative to the defined reference points and the guidelines for harvest decision rules in the PA policy (DFO 2009). The science advice should include a description of the river-specific information used to define the USRs, provide a table(s) of river-specific LRP and USR values, and include a section on knowledge gaps and uncertainties. A review of the example harvest decision rule for the recreational fisheries of the Miramichi River, for its conformity to the PA policy, will also be provided.
- Science Advisory Report
- Research Document
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) (Ecosystems and Oceans Science and Ecosystems and Fisheries Management)
- Province of Quebec
- Non-governmental Organizations
- Indigenous Organizations
- Other invited experts
- DFO. 2009. A Fishery Decision-Making Framework Incorporating the Precautionary Approach.
- DFO. 2015. Development of reference points for Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) that conform to the Precautionary Approach. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Advis. Rep. 2015/058.
- DFO. 2018. Limit Reference Points for Atlantic Salmon Rivers in DFO Gulf Region. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Resp. 2018/015.
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: