Terms of Reference
Terra Nova Environmental Effects Monitoring (EEM) Program 2010
Newfoundland and Labrador Region Science Special Response Process (SSRP)
St. John’s, NL
Chairperson: Robyn Jamieson
Science Branch (NL Region) has been asked by the Marine Habitat Protection Section, Ecosystems Management Branch to review the report entitled “Terra Nova 2010 Environmental Effects Monitoring (EEM) Program”. The Terra Nova EEM program was established to fulfill commitments made in the Terra Nova Environmental Assessment (EA). The main goals of the program have been to assess the accuracy of predictions made during the EA and determine the zone of influence of project contaminants. The first, second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth EEM Programs were conducted in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2008. This report discusses the results of the seventh EEM Program, conducted in the summer and fall of 2010, and relates these to findings of previous EEM years (2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009) and to the baseline (1997) program.
The findings of the SSRP will assist to formulate a response from the Habitat Protection Division to the Canada-Newfoundland Offshore Petroleum Board (CNLOPB), on the submission of the results of the seventh EEM Program.
- To provide an expert scientific review of the 2010 EEM report for accuracy, completeness, and issues in the context of the previous EEM reports for this program. This data review includes sediment chemistry, sediment toxicity, water chemistry, taint, fish health and analysis of potential contaminant substances (body burden).
- To determine if the conclusions outlined in the 2010 EEM report are valid, justifiable and defensible based on the data presented.
- To the extent possible using information presented in the current report, relate and comment on the findings of the 2010 EEM report to data obtained in the baseline study and previous six EEM submissions.
- Outline any suggested changes, errors and/or deficiencies in the 2010 report.
- CSAS Science Response
- DFO Science NL Region
- Ecosystems Management Branch, NL Region
Suncor Energy, 2011. Terra Nova 2010 Environmental Effects Monitoring (EEM) Program Year 7 (Volume 1). Prepared by Stantec Consulting Ltd. for Suncor Energy.
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: