Terms of Reference
Assessment of Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence Shrimp Stocks
Quebec Region Science Advisory Process
January 26, 2011
Chairperson: Stéphane Plourde
DFO Quebec Science Branch reviews the status of some Gulf of St. Lawrence invertebrates and groundfish stocks in support of management of the fishery. Fisheries and Aquaculture management has requested a scientific advice on the Estuary and Gulf Northern shrimp stock status in 2011.
Provide scientific advice to determine TACs for the Northern shrimp stocks in the Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence in management units 8, 9, 10 and 12 for the 2011 fishing season. This advice shall include:
- Conclusions of an assessment of the status of shrimp populations in management units 8, 9, 10 and 12, based on:
- commercial fishery statistics available (landings, effort, CPUE) and biological data from the commercial sampling program (size frequency);
- landing data (abundance, biomass) and biological data (size frequency) from DFO research surveys in the estuary and northern Gulf.
- An analysis of the importance of by-catches (among others, turbot, northern cod and capelin) during the directed fishery on northern shrimp.
- The identification and priorization of research projects to be considered for the future.
- Perspectives for recruitment to the fishery and recommendations for the establishment of TACs for the 2011 fishing season for each management unit.
CSAS Science Advisory Report on the Estuary and Gulf Northern shrimp.
CSAS Research document
CSAS Proceedings summarizing the discussion.
DFO Science and Fisheries Management
Aboriginal Communities / Organizations
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: