Science Advisory Report 2018/009
Stock Assessment of NAFO Divisions 3LNO Haddock
- This stock has been under moratorium since 1993. From 1973 to 1992, landings averaged 2,378 t annually. From 1993 to 2015, landings averaged 146 t annually but reported landings increased to 371 t in 2016.
- Both the spring and fall research vessel (RV) survey indices of biomass have varied without trend since the mid-1990s.
- A recruitment index based on fish less than 20 cm in the fall RV surveys was lower in 2015 than the 1995-2016 average. No fish less than 20 cm were caught in 2016 or 2017 RV surveys.
- Several candidate limit reference points based on proxies of BMSY derived from survey indices of total biomass were considered. However, none were accepted.
- In the absence of a model of population dynamics and the lack of trend in the survey indices, advice could not be provided on whether to maintain a moratorium on fishing.
This Science Advisory Report is from the December 4-5, 2017 Assessment of NAFO Division 3LNO Haddock. Additional publications from this meeting will be posted on the Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) Science Advisory Schedule as they become available
- Date modified: