Science Advisory Report 2014/049
Monitoring Indicators, Protocols and Strategies for the Proposed Laurentian Channel Marine Protected Area (MPA)
- The indicators, protocols and strategies proposed to monitor the LC MPA are consistent with the overarching goal of conserving biodiversity and the conservation objectives (CO) related to the species of interest. They are also influenced by the location and specific characteristics of the area.
- Three categories of indicators are proposed for monitoring the LC MPA:
- Direct indicators, which provide information on the status and trends of specific species of interest related to the COs;
- Indirect indicators, which provide information on biotic and abiotic components of the environment that can inform changes in the COs; and
- Anthropogenic pressure indicators, which can quantify human activities inside and outside of the LC MPA that may affect the COs.
This Science Advisory Report is from the June 24-26, 2014 meeting on Monitoring Indicators, Protocols and Strategies for the Proposed Laurentian Channel Marine Protected Area (MPA). Additional publications from this meeting will be posted on the Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) Science Advisory Schedule as they become available.
- Date modified: