Science Advisory Report 2008/040
Cumberland Sound Greenland Halibut (Turbot) Inshore Fishery
- The Cumberland Sound inshore management area has supported a small scale turbot fishery for 20 years.
- This fishery has been treated as a commercial fishery since the quota was established at 500 t in 1994.
- The data reviewed suggests that the fishery status could be changed from exploratory to commercial.
- There is a lack of information on recruitment processes and Greenland halibut maturation so a conservative management style is recommended.
- Monitoring of the catch should continue and may need to be enhanced if there is a sustained increase in harvest level.
- An introduction of new gear types or changes to the gear used in this fishery should be carefully considered for impacts on Greenland halibut spawning potential and recruitment as well as for impacts on other species such as marine mammals.
- Date modified: