Science Advisory Report 2008/035
Total allowable harvest recommendations for Nunavut narwhal and beluga populations
- Harvest level recommendations are made for Nunavut narwhal and beluga populations where an estimate of their population size is available.
- Cumberland Sound beluga are not included in this analysis as harvest level advice was previously provided and there is no new information with which to update the analysis.
- For the current analysis the Nunavut narwhal and beluga populations are considered data-poor.
- For data-poor populations, where there is insufficient recent data, Potential Biological Removal (PBR) estimates are used as the bases for providing advice on harvest levels.
- Total allowable harvest level recommendations are presented as Total Allowable Landed Catch after removal of hunt losses.
- Hunt loss corrections are derived from annual reports of landed and lost whales from communities under Community Based Management.
- Allocation of harvest should consider that some populations are shared by communities within and outside of Nunavut during annual migrations and while in summer and winter ranges.
This document is available in PDF format. If the document is not accessible to you, please contact the Secretariat to obtain another appropriate format, such as regular print, large print, Braille or audio version.
- Date modified: