Public consultation on the Framework for Aquaculture Risk Management
Current status: Closed
This consultation ran from June 2019 to August 2019.
This consultation sought opinions on the Framework for Aquaculture Risk Management (FARM). The goal of the FARM is to provide a consistent, predictable process for aquaculture. It aims to ensure fish and their habitats are protected using avoidance, mitigation, monitoring and compliance approaches that directly address potential risks to the environment.
Participation in this consultation involved reviewing the FARM documents and submitting comments by email.
Who was the focus of this consultation
This consultation asked for comments from:
- environmental organizations
- fish harvester groups
- the general public
- Indigenous peoples
Key discussion questions
We asked participants to consider the following questions:
- Are all the key elements in the risk management framework included?
- Are the elements clearly described?
- What aspects in the draft policy framework will be difficult or challenging to implement? Are there recommendations on changes that could be made to avoid or diminish these difficulties?
- Is the characterization of uncertainty and the precautionary approach accurate and clear?
- What processes should be used for incorporating residual risks to wild fish populations associated with aquaculture activities into stock assessments?
- Framework for Aquaculture Risk Management (FARM)
- Fisheries and Oceans management of aquaculture and the application of the precautionary approach
- Overview of the aquaculture Pathways of Effects tool for assessing aquaculture impacts
- Framework for Aquaculture Risk Management: Application of the aquaculture Pathways of Effects in aquaculture activities decisions
Aquaculture Management Directorate
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
200 Kent St (10th floor)
Ottawa ON K1A0E6
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: