Fieldnotes: Pacific Science field operations
One year into the global COVID-19 pandemic, we remain committed to delivering innovative science and services to Canadians.
Following the suspension of field operations in the spring of 2020, we have since taken steps to resume this field programming as part of the Government of Canada’s COVID-19 response plan.
All field activities that proceed continue to be guided by a prioritization assessment, adhere to the direction from national, British Columbia and Yukon public health authorities, and follow safe work procedures.
Regular monitoring and evaluation of the effectiveness of our safety protocols remains paramount to ensuring the health and safety of DFO employees and their families, as well as that of collaborators, Indigenous communities and the public.
Further, field activities will consider the COVID-19 safety concerns of First Nations communities, as appropriate.
We conduct research and monitor the marine and freshwater environment in support of sustainable fisheries, healthy aquatic ecosystems and living resources, and safe and effective marine services.
The Fieldnotes document contain information about planned science field operations in the North Pacific and Arctic oceans, as well as in the coastal and interior waters of British Columbia and Yukon.
They intend to:
- inform Canadians of research and monitoring programming scheduled for the coming year
- promote the sharing of key information and data in a coordinated, timely, open and transparent manner in order to encourage dialogue and collaboration
- provide a platform from which to build and nurture fundamentally more inclusive, trust- and respect-based relationships with all Canadians
- reaffirm and honour the reconciliation commitment to renewed relationships with Indigenous peoples based on the recognition of rights, respect, cooperation and partnerships
- foster conditions that facilitate the pooling of collective expertise, experience, and resources
- further Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s commitment to the principles and pursuit of scientific integrity
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: