Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Fisheries and Oceans Canada is the federal lead for safeguarding our waters and managing Canada's fisheries, oceans and freshwater resources. We support economic growth in the marine and fisheries sectors, and innovation in areas such as aquaculture and biotechnology. We help ensure healthy and sustainable aquatic ecosystems through habitat protection and sound science.
- Government of Canada appoints Federal Special Representative to facilitate discussions between commercial lobster industry and First Nations in Atlantic Canada
2020-10-23 21:23 - News release
- Government of Canada to speak to the situation in Nova Scotia
2020-10-19 06:12 - Media advisory
- Government of Canada partnering with Indigenous coastal communities to enhance marine safety in Nunavut and Manitoba
2020-10-13 14:30 - News release
Services and information
Lighthouses, navigation and marine conditions, search and rescue, and small craft harbours
Licences, permits and funding programs related to fishing, aquaculture and marine mammal harvest.
Ocean sciences and climate change adaptation, environmental science, research centres and shared data.
Research, ocean and aquatic climate change science, projects near water, and protecting marine resources.
Aquatic species in Canadian waters, including those at risk, invasive, fished or farmed.
Sustainable aquaculture, licences, regulations, statistics and reporting.
What we are doing
- Public consultation on the discussion document for Canada’s Ocean Noise Strategy
- Share and view ideas: Policies on Fisheries Act Authorizations related to Cetaceans in Captivity and Reproductive Materials of Cetaceans
- Share your views and ideas: the proposed federal Aquaculture Act
- Eastern Shore Islands Area of Interest consultations
- Current valid BC aquaculture licence holders
- New Salmon Escapement Database System (NuSEDS)
- Critical Habitat of Species at Risk
- BC Lightstation Sea-Surface Temperature and Salinity Data
- Offshore oil, gas and energy research
- Research to support the protection of whales in Canadian waters
- Aquaculture Collaborative Research and Development Program
- Science At-Sea Collaborative Research
- Date modified: