Terms of Reference
Update of Stock Status for Scallop in Scallop Fishing Area 29 West of 65º30’
Regional Peer Review - Maritimes Region
March 22, 2023
Chairperson: Rabindra Singh
Harvesting of Sea Scallop (Placopecten magellanicus) in Scallop Fishing Area (SFA) 29 west of longitude 65°30’ (herein referred to as SFA 29 West) includes commercial and food, social, and ceremonial (FSC) harvesting. Scallop are caught using drag gear. The stock is assessed annually following methods described in the stock assessment framework (Smith et al. 2015). The last full stock assessment of SFA 29 West was completed in March 2015 (DFO 2015). The last stock status update was completed in 2022 (DFO 2022). In support of the Scallop fisheries in SFA 29 West, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) Maritimes Fisheries and Aquaculture Management Branch has asked Science Branch for an assessment of resource status and the consequences of various harvest levels for the coming fishing season.
- Provide an update on the status of SFA 29 West Scallop stocks by subarea in 2022 in relation to established reference points where available.
- Summarize available bycatch of non-target species information and identify any notable changes in occurrence of these bycatch species relative to previous years.
- Evaluate the consequences of different harvest levels by subarea for the 2023 fisheries on stock abundance and exploitation rate in relation to established reference points where available.
- Science Response
- DFO Science
- DFO Fisheries and Aquaculture Management
- DFO. 2015. Assessment of Scallops (Placopecten magellanicus) in Scallop Fishing Area (SFA) 29 West of Longitude 65°30′W. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Advis. Rep. 2015/035.
- DFO. 2022. Stock Status Update for Scallop (Placopecten magellanicus) in Scallop Fishing Area 29 West of Longitude 65°30’. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Resp. 2022/042.
- Smith, S.J., Nasmith, L., Glass, A., Hubley, B., and Sameoto, J.A. 2015. Framework assessment for SFA 29 West scallop fishery. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 2014/110. v + 69 p.
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: