Terms of Reference
Assessment of Northern and Striped Shrimp in Shrimp Fishing Area (SFA) 4 and Development of a Limit Reference Point (LRP) for Striped Shrimp in SFA 4
Regional Peer Review - Newfoundland and Labrador Region
March 14-16, 2023
Co-Chairs: Dawn Maddock Parsons and Luiz Mello
The status of Northern Shrimp (Pandalus borealis) in Shrimp Fishing Area (SFA) 4 has been assessed annually since 2015 and was last assessed in February 2022 (DFO, in prep.Footnote 1). The status of Striped Shrimp (Pandalus montagui) in SFA 4 is assessed on a biennial basis. It was last assessed in 2021 (DFO, 2021) and a stock status update was conducted in 2022 (DFO, 2022). Fisheries and Oceans Canada Resource Management has requested Fisheries and Oceans Canada Science establish a LRP consistent with the Precautionary Approach (PA) framework for Striped Shrimp in SFA 4. Fisheries Resource Management has requested the current assessment as the basis for harvest advice for the 2023/2024 fishing season, and that the Striped Shrimp stock be assessed relative to any established LRP during the assessment.
- Assess the status of Northern and Striped shrimp stocks in SFA 4 based on available indicators.
- Consider ecosystem status where the assessed stocks occur based on an overview including relevant summaries of oceanographic conditions, biological community structure and trends, and pertinent knowledge of ecological interactions (e.g., predator) and stressors (e.g., anthropogenic impacts).
- Review and establish an LRP for Striped Shrimp in SFA 4.
- Science Advisory Report
- Research Document
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF)
- Other invited experts
- DFO. 2021. An Assessment of Northern Shrimp (Pandalus borealis) in Shrimp Fishing Areas 4–6 and of Striped Shrimp (Pandalus montagui) in Shrimp Fishing Area 4 in 2020. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Advis. Rep. 2021/049.
- DFO. 2022. Stock Status Update of Shrimp Fishing Area 4 Striped Shrimp (Pandalus montagui) in 2021. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Resp. 2022/012.
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: