Terms of Reference
Update of Stock Status Indicators for Quebec North Shore (Division 4S) Herring in 2022
Regional Peer Review - Quebec Region
February 27, 2023
Chairperson: Charley Cyr
The stock assessment for herring (Clupea harengus) in the Quebec North Shore (Division 4S) is carried out every 2 years and the last assessment occurred in February 2021. The full assessment of these stocks, originally scheduled for March 2023, was cancelled to allow the review of the Northern Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RS) herring stocks assessment framework in April 2023 (review of available data). The next full assessment is scheduled for March 2025. The Fisheries and Aquaculture Management Branch has requested an update of stock indicators to , whether any changes have occurred in the status of the resource that would require adjustments to the management plan based on the adopted conservation approach.
The meeting objectives are:
- To update the Quebec North Shore (4S) herring stocks indicators in 2022, namely:
- the commercial fishery landings
- the age composition of commercial catches
- the results of the 4Sw unit area acoustic surveys in 2021 and 2022.
- the cumulative stock productivity index
- Perspectives and/or recommendations on harvest levels for the 2023 fishing seasons based on available data.
- Science Response
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) (Science and Resources management sectors)
- DFO. 2021. Assessment of the Quebec North Shore (Division 4S) herring stocks in 2020. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Advis. Rep. 2021/037.
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: