Terms of Reference
Stock Assessment of Snow Crab in 2HJ3KLNOP4R
Regional Peer Review - Newfoundland and Labrador Region
February 20-23, 2023
Co-Chairs: Aaron Adamack and Kristin Loughlin
The status of Divisions 2HJ3KLNOP4R Snow Crab was last assessed in 2022 (DFO 2022). The current assessment was requested by Resource Management to provide current information on the status of the resource and to provide the science advice that will be used in the 2023 Snow Crab Management Plan. Advice will be used to maintain/revise current management approaches, and to inform decision making.
Data will be shared with fish harvester committees, the Fish, Food and Allied Workers (FFAW), processors, Aboriginal organizations, and the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador in local advisory meetings, to make informed recommendations on the Total Allowable Catch (TAC) and related fisheries management measures for upcoming annual Snow Crab seasons. This information will also be used for Fisheries Checklists processes, departmental support to Marine Stewardship Council certification processes, as well as for updates of the Integrated Fisheries Management Plan document.
- To assess the status of Snow Crab in Divisions 2HJ3KLNOP4R in relation to the LRPs adopted for each Assessment Division.
- To determine the impacts of various harvest levels on stock status.
- Consider ecosystem status where the assessed stock occurs based on an overview including relevant summaries of oceanographic conditions, biological community structure and trends, and pertinent knowledge of ecological interactions (e.g., predator, prey) and stressors (e.g., anthropogenic impacts).
- Science Advisory Report
- Research Document
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) Science and Resource Management sectors
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador – Department of Fisheries, Forestry, and Agriculture
- Nunatsiavut Government
- Indigenous Groups
- Fishing Industry
- Other invited experts
- DFO. 2022. Assessment of Newfoundland and Labrador (Divisions 2HJ3KLNOP4R) Snow Crab. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Advis. Rep. 2022/054.
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: