Terms of Reference
Assessment of Stock Status for Western Component Pollock and Harvest Control Rule
Regional Peer Review - Maritimes Region
February 17, 2023
Chairperson: Tara McIntyre
Pollock (Pollachius virens) in Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization (NAFO) Divisions 4VWX5 comprise two population components: a slower-growing Eastern Component including Divisions 4V and 4W, as well as Subdivisions 4Xm and 4Xn, and a faster-growing Western Component (WC) including 4Xopqrs and Canadian portions of Division 5. In 2011, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) fisheries managers and the fishing industry decided to manage Western Component (WC) Pollock using a risk-management approach and embarked on a Management Strategy Evaluation (MSE) process, with the help of government scientists and outside experts (DFO 2011). The MSE was intended to undergo review in 2016, but DFO resource limitations and the inception of an acoustic index resulted in a deferral of that review until 2021. The review was initiated by a data inputs review meeting in March of 2022, followed by two peer review meetings to review model options, operating models and simulations. This meeting is intended to apply the selected Management Procedure and formally provide advice for WC Pollock for the 2023/2024 fishing year.
The specific objectives of this meeting are:
- Provide catch advice for WC Pollock based on the final approved Management Procedure.
- Finalize exceptional circumstance triggers and planned assessment cycle for WC Pollock.
- Science Advisory Report
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada Science
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada Fisheries Management
- Provincial government representatives
- Indigenous communities/organizations
- Fishing Industry
- Non-government organizations
- DFO. 2011. Western Component (4Xopqrs5) Pollock Management Strategy Evaluation. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Advis. Rep. 2011/054.
- Stone, H.H. 2011. 2010 Pollock Assessment Update for the Western Component 4Xopqrs5; pp. 21–96. In: J.M. Porter and V. Docherty, Chairpersons. Proceedings of 4X5 Pollock Management Strategy Evaluation Workshop – 2010. Can. Manuscr. Rep. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 2945.
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: