Terms of Reference
2J3KL Witch Flounder Assessment
Regional Advisory Meeting – Newfoundland and Labrador Region
May 10-11, 2022
Chairperson: Aaron Adamack, Katherine Skanes
The status of the Witch Flounder (Glyptocephalus cynoglossus) stock in Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization (NAFO) Divisions 2J and 3KL was last assessed in May 2018 (DFO 2018, Wheeland et al. 2019). The current assessment is requested by the DFO Resource Management Branch to provide the Minister with detailed advice on the status of the stock in order to inform decisions for upcoming fishing season(s).
- Consider ecosystem status where the assessed stock occurs based on an overview including relevant summaries of oceanographic conditions, biological community structure and trends, and pertinent knowledge of ecological interactions (e.g. predator, prey) and stressors (e.g. anthropogenic impacts).
- Report on statistics with respect to bycatch of Witch Flounder in other fisheries.
- Assess and report on the current status of the 2J3KL Witch Flounder stock, and identify any major sources of uncertainty. In particular, assess survey biomass relative to the LRP, recruitment, and biological characteristics including size composition and distribution.
- Research Document
- Science Advisory Report
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) (Science and Resource Management Branches)
- NL Provincial Department of Fisheries, Forestry and Agriculture
- Indigenous groups
- Non-government organizations
- DFO. 2018. Stock Assessment of Witch Flounder (Glyptocephalus cynoglossus) in NAFO Divisions 2J3KL. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Advis. Rep. 2018/053.
- Wheeland, L., Rogers, B., Rideout, R., and Maddock Parsons, D. 2019. Assessment of Witch Flounder (Glyptocephalus cynoglossus) NAFO Divisions 2J3KL. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 2019/066. iv + 57 p.
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: