Terms of Reference
Update of Stock Status Indicators for Greenland halibut in the Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RST) in 2021
Science Response Process – Quebec Region
February 25, 2022
Chairperson: Charley Cyr
The Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RST) Greenland halibut (Reinhardtius hippoglossoides) stock assessment is conducted every two years and the last assessment took place in February 2021. In the interim years, Fisheries management asks for a brief review of the main resource indicators to determine if major changes in the stock status warrant further consideration before the full assessment planned for winter 2023.
The meeting objectives are:
- To update the Gulf of St. Lawrence Greenland halibut indicators in 2021, namely:
- the commercial fishery landings
- the abundance indices for DFO surveys in the northern Gulf of St. Lawrence
- To determine projected total removals according to the 3 harvest control rule scenarios of the Precautionary Approach framework for the Gulf of St. Lawrence Greenland halibut (DFO 2022).
- Science Response
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) (Science and Resources management sectors)
- DFO. 2022. Development of a precautionary approach for the Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RST) Greenland halibut stock. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Sci. Resp. 2022/002.
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: