Terms of Reference
Assessment of the Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RST) Greenland halibut
Quebec Region Science Advisory Process
February 15, 2011
Chairperson: Serge Gosselin
DFO Quebec Science Branch reviews the status of some Gulf of St. Lawrence invertebrates and groundfish stocks in support of management of the fishery. Fisheries and Aquaculture management has requested a scientific advice on Greenland halibut in the Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RST) in 2011.
Provide scientific advice on Greenland halibut (turbot) stock status to determine the TAC in NAFO Divisions 4RST for the 2011 and 2012 fishing season. This advice shall include:
- Conclusions of an assessment of the turbot stock based on:
- commercial fishery statistics following the 2010 season (overall landing distribution, breakdown by division and fishing gear, yields and catch rates) and biological data resulting from the commercial sampling program (size structure);
- historical data from the DFO research survey up to 2010 (abundance index, biomass, recruitment, size structure and geographical distribution of catches);
- historical data of the July mobile sentinel survey up to 2010 (abundance index, biomass, size structure and geographical distribution of catches);
- trends of abundance index and other available stock indicators (fishery, biology, etc.).
- Specific elements concerning the development of a scientific advice, such as:
- an update of the condition and maturity indicators;
- The identification and priorization of research projects to be considered for the future.
- Identification of indicators to follow the stocks status during the years without a formal stock assessment.
- Perspectives for 2011 and 2012 based on available indicators.
CSAS Science Advisory Report on Greenland halibut in the Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RST).
CSAS Proceedings summarizing the discussion.
DFO Science and Fisheries and Aquaculture Management
Aboriginal Communities / Organizations
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: