Terms of Reference
Assessment of the Estuary and Northern Gulf of St. Lawrence Snow Crab
Quebec Region Science Advisory Process
February 7 to 9, 2011
Chairperson: Denis Chabot
DFO Quebec Science Branch reviews the status of some Gulf of St. Lawrence invertebrates and groundfish stocks in support of management of the fishery. Fisheries and Aquaculture management has requested a scientific advice on Snow Crab stocks status in the Estuary and Northern Gulf in 2011.
Provide scientific advice to determine TACs for the snow crab stocks in the Estuary and Northern Gulf of St. Lawrence: management units 13 to 17, 12A, 12B and 12C for the 2011 fishing season. The advice shall include:
- Conclusions of an assessment of the status of snow crab populations in management units 13 to 17, 12A, 12B and 12C, based on:
- commercial fishery statistics available following the 2010 fishing season (landings and effort, at-sea sampling). Indicators: commercial CPUE, carapace condition, size structure and mean carapace width for males;
- data from post-season trap surveys conducted annually in collaboration with fishers. Indicators: CPUE of legal-size and sub-legal-size crabs, maturity, size, spermatheca load and carapace condition of males;
- data from trawl survey(s) conducted annually in certain sectors or areas. Indicators: abundance index of legal-size and sub-legal-size males, maturity, size of both males and females.
- The identification and priorization of research projects to be considered for the future.
- Perspectives and/or recommendations for 2011 based on a summary table of main indicators for the precautionary approach and short- and medium-term predictions.
CSAS Science Advisory Report on snow crab of the Estuary and Northern Gulf of St. Lawrence.
CSAS Proceedings summarizing the discussion
DFO Science and Fisheries Management
Aboriginal Communities / Organizations
Participation to CSAS peer review meetings is by invitation only.
- Date modified: