Canada co-hosted the Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
The blue economy: Prosperous. Inclusive. Sustainable.
The governments of Canada, Kenya and Japan co-hosted the Sustainable Blue Economy Conference in Nairobi, Kenya, from November 26 to 28, 2018.
This first-ever global conference on the sustainable blue economy aimed to help further the international community’s support of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
A blue economy aims to harness the potential of our oceans, seas, lakes and rivers to improve the lives of all, particularly people in developing states, women, youth and Indigenous peoples. It leverages the latest innovations, scientific advances and best practices to build prosperity while conserving our waters for future generations.
The conference focused on these key areas:
- creating economic growth that is inclusive and sustainable
- ensuring healthy and productive waters
- building safe and resilient communities
- Minister Jordan launches engagement on Canada’s new Blue Economy Strategy
2021-02-08 12:00 - News release
- Canada commits to growing the blue economy at home and around the globe
2020-12-03 12:00 - News release
- Canada and partners lead global movement towards a sustainable blue economy
2018-11-28 10:00 - News release
- Government of Canada announces support for global ocean sustainability efforts
2018-11-28 9:00 - News release
- Government of Canada announces support for UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development
2018-11-27 9:30 - News release
- Fighting back against climate change: Canada helps create more resilient coastal communities
2018-11-26 10:00 - News release
- Canada en route to co-host first global sustainable blue economy conference next week
2018-11-23 13:00 - News Release
Information on the conference, including program, themes, location and hosts.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau met with Kenyan President, Uhuru Kenyatta, in June 2018.
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its 17 goals.
Canada’s comprehensive approach to ensure we have safer, cleaner and healthier oceans.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: