North Atlantic right whales need our help.
- Right whales are critically endangered.
- The global population is about 450.
Whales can be injured or killed if they are struck by vessels, they get tangled in ropes, nets and fishing gear.
What are we doing about these threats?
- Slowing down boats
- Adjusting fishing seasons to make way for whales
- Actively looking for right whales
- Using less rope in the water
- Keeping better track of rope and buoys
- Mandatory reporting for lost gear
- Exploring new fishing technologies and methods
- Working with our partners
Together we are working to help protect North Atlantic right whales.