Fieldnotes: Pacific Science field operations
As part of the Government of Canada's COVID-19 response plan, we are focusing efforts on maintaining Departmental and Government of Canada critical services while advancing measures to minimize COVID-19 transmission. While we assess the implications of COVID-19 to Fisheries and Oceans Canada field research and monitoring for 2020 to 2021, we have suspended all field activities that do not support critical services until June 15, 2020. During this time, we will evaluate priorities for the remainder of the 2020 season in light of the evolving situation, and work to identify mitigation measures to address any information lost. Subsequent updates will be posted here.
We conduct research and monitor the marine and freshwater environment in support of sustainable fisheries, healthy aquatic ecosystems and living resources, and safe and effective marine services.
The Fieldnotes document contain information about planned science field operations in the North Pacific and Arctic oceans, as well as in the coastal and interior waters of British Columbia and Yukon.
They intend to:
- inform Canadians of research and monitoring programming scheduled for the coming year
- promote the sharing of key information and data in a coordinated, timely, open and transparent manner in order to encourage dialogue and collaboration
- provide a platform from which to build and nurture fundamentally more inclusive, trust- and respect-based relationships with all Canadians
- reaffirm and honour the reconciliation commitment to renewed relationships with Indigenous peoples based on the recognition of rights, respect, cooperation and partnerships
- foster conditions that facilitate the pooling of collective expertise, experience, and resources
- further Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s commitment to the principles and pursuit of scientific integrity
- Date modified: