Strategies and Action Plans
Fisheries and Oceans Canada is working in collaboration with provincial, territorial, and municipal governments, First Nations, and stakeholders to prevent the introduction of new aquatic invasive species and the management of those that are already established in Canada. Prevention includes regulation of import, transport, possession and release of high-risk species, as well as early detection of and response to new invasions. Management strategies includes containment, control, and, ideally, eradication of established and spreading aquatic invasive species.
National Strategies and Action Plans
The National Aquatic Invasive Species Committee, a federal-provincial-territorial committee under the Canadian Council of Fisheries and Aquaculture Ministers, provides a forum for national and inter-jurisdictional planning, cooperation and coordination of aquatic invasive species activities, the exchange of information, and liaison with other groups responsible for implementing An Invasive Alien Species Strategy for Canada.
A Canadian Action Plan to Address the Threat of Aquatic Invasive Species ( PDF), approved by the Canadian Council of Fisheries and Aquaculture Ministers, outlines a national approach for managing aquatic invasive species.
Federal Regulations on Aquatic Invasive Species
Fisheries and Oceans Canada has developed new federal regulations to manage and control aquatic invasive species in Canada. The Aquatic Invasive Species Regulations were published in the Canada Gazette, Part II, on June 17th, 2015.
- Introductions and Transfers of Aquatic Organisms (Fisheries and Oceans Canada)
- The Canadian Ballast Water Program (Transport Canada)
- A Guide to Canada’s Ballast Water Control and Management Regulations TP 13617 E
- Anti-fouling Systems (Transport Canada)
Canals and Water Diversions
Strategies and action plans against aquatic invasive species
- A Canadian Action Plan to Address the Threat of Aquatic Invasive Species
- An Invasive Alien Species Strategy for Canada
- Canada-United States Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement
- Date modified: